Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 00:53:55 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /kernel: sigreturn: eflags = 0x13286

Andrew J Caines wrote:

> Naturally, I recognise that the error may well originate with Xfree86
> and/or the apps, but I am interested in the cause and its affect on the
> system. I'll grudgingly accept buggy X clients and even the occasional X
> server crash, I wouldn't normally expect a kernel message like that.

Well, XFree86 4.0.* has a few strange problems like this.  For example,
say I play an mp3 with RealPlayer 7.0 or mpg123 in an xterm.  When I
escape to a VC using ctrl+alt+F(n), and then attempt to go back to X by
doing alt+F9, my display goes crazy with all kinds of lines and
pyschedelic colors. :-)  Sometimes, I just kill X by telneting in and
killing X, or sometimes, my machine is truly hung.  It seems as though
the accelerated drivers being used by X 4.0.1 are using the isa bus in a
strange way so as to interfere with the normal operation of the HW.  I
think you should take this up with the XFree86 people.  Remember,
XFree86 4.x is totally redesigned from the ground up, so there's bound
to be HW problems.  It depends on your video chipset, I guess.  Also,
try disabling graphics acceleration in XF86Config, and then repeat what
you did to cause the HW problem.

- Donn