Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:35:16 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        teslik@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2R to 4.2R upgrade issues

I had the same problem, and it was suggested to upgrade to the latest
in the 3.x branch, which is 3.5-RELEASE and then to try to upgrade to
the 4.x branch from there.

I upgraded from 3.0-STABLE to 3.5-RELEASE with no problems, but I
haven't gone on from there.

Since you said there weren't many complaints from later 3.x releases,
maybe upgrading to 3.5-RELEASE before going to the 4.x branch might be
the trick.