Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:10:55 -0400
From:      Felix Hernandez Campos <fhernand@cs.unc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcl8.3.2

Hi,

I'm trying to compile tcl 8.3.2 (*) from the source code, but I always
get the following error message (from make, configure succeeded):

ld -Bshareable -x -o libtcl83.so.1.0 regcomp.o ...lots_of_files...
tclLoadDl.o
cc  tclAppInit.o -L/usr/home2/fhernand/tcl8.3.2/unix -ltcl83 -lm -lc
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -o tclsh
ld: -ltcl83: no match

ld creates libtcl83.so.1.0, but cc cannot use it as the tcl83 library. I
had a look to an old configure.in from tcl 8.0 (I can compile that
version successfully), and I found that the FreeBSD specific section is
missing in the new release. The problem seems to be related to shared
libraries and .so/.a files in FreeBSD, but I don't know enough to fix
it. BTW, I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.8. Any help will be very welcome. Thank
you.

P.S. Please, point me to the right list if this is not the one I should
be posting to.

(*) it can be found in many places (e.g.
http://dv.go.dlr.de/fresh/unix/src/contrib/tcl8.3.2.tar.gz)