Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 23:22:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Fisher <mfisher@harborcom.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKey and locked account

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> If you wish to disable a user's account, you should set their shell to
> something nonexistent.  (Note that ssh may still be a way past this.)

As is the login.conf(5) database, from what I can tell.  If the disabled
user drops in a .login_conf that sets the shell, it will work although
they will need to modify their SHELL environmental variable if they're
going to be doing much fun stuff.

However, I just did some playing around with this on a 2.2.6-STABLE system
and didn't seem to have any luck subverting the configured shell.  (Read:
assuming I configure .login_conf correctly, it is not being used
correctly.)

Setting the shell to /sbin/nologin does seem to do the trick; it doesn't
let S/Key through and it doesn't seem to allow anything else through.

With SSH, I was unable to do a login via RSA keys or password
authentication with the shell set to /sbin/nologin.  I'd assume that the
.shosts authentication would also be effectively broken.

Of course, this is an inelegant fix for people who have set up a nice
shell substitute that allows choices like password changes or whatnot, but
I would imagine that in a situation where the account was locked, a
password change is a minimal priority for people.

--
Mike
  "I swear - by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live