Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:44:49 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Karl Hanmore" <avatar@ultra.ultra.net.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Simple(?) Dummynet Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Hanmore" <avatar@ultra.ultra.net.au>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 1:32 AM
Subject: Simple(?) Dummynet Question

> Good Day All,
>
> I have been experimenting with ipfw pipe's and DUMMYNET, and have been
> very happy with the results.  However, I cannot for the life of me get my
> current application to function.
>
> My aim is to _guarentee_ 10Kbit/s of my 64Kbit/s link for ssh traffic, so
> I can make sure office http/ftp does not lag my ssh connections.  In order
> to do this, I tried 2 sets of 2 pipes, one set restricting ALL traffic in
> and out to 54Kbit/s, and the other set to restrict ssh to 10Mbit/s.
> However, all I succeded in doing was limiting my overall pipe to 54Kbit,
> and ssh to a max. of 10Mbit/s of the 54Kbit/s pipe.

Since you seem to be able to set highwater marks for overall traffic and a
subset thereof, why not make the following rules:
- restrict ALL traffic to 64Kbps
- restrict ALL traffic (except SSH) to 54Kbps

This will guarantee 10Kbps for SSH, if not more.

[ Disclaimer:  I have never used DUMMYNET before, so these suggestions are
purely theoretical. ]

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services