Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:36:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        higginsj@iname.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
Subject:   Re: Anyone using FreeBSD with Dell Dimension Hardware?

>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm considering the purchase of a Dell Dimension R333 or R350.  My
>> company has Dell as a vendor, and I can get a serious discount.
>> Hopefully somebody out there can verify that FreeBSD is happy with
>> the hardware used in these machines.  I have posted to the XFree86
>> newsgroup asking whether or not the STB NVidia AGP video card is
>> supported, but any comments from FreeBSD fellows on this issue is
>> more than welcome.

Specific things to worry about:

1.  I don't know what the current XFree support for the NVidia.  If
you're willing to spend more for better, consider a Matrox Millenium
II.  Beta, but the support will improve as most people continue to
consider the Matrox one of the best 2D cards available.  For less $,
consider S3-based cards.

2.  You mentioned the DVD drive -- I only recall people saying they
weren't wholly supported.

3.  You mentioned a WinModem.  These will not work under FreeBSD, as
they use Windows drivers to do modem things.

You also mentioned your friend.  If you're comfortable with that, he
might be able to provide you with something that is equivalent to
whatever you would have bought from a large firm, for a better price
(my experience with small local computer firms).

Since none of the major companies will support FreeBSD on their
machines, there isn't much of a difference even if your friend doesn't
know much about it, and he may well be willing to be more flexible
(no, I can't use the FooBar XL card, it has to be the FooBar XLa or it
won't work).

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/