Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:54:41 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP question

Branson Matheson wrote in message ID
<199606141136.HAA07912@garion.hq.ferg.com>:
> >is there a way of determining whether an interface is connected
> >(particularly tun0) without trying to send something (e.g. ping
> >packets) across the interface ?  What I want to do is find out if the
> >interface is currently connected and iff it is then download mail from my
> >ISP.

>  ifconfig -u | grep tun0

root@palmer:/> ifconfig -au
[--SNIP--]
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1524
        inet 158.152.50.150 --> 158.152.1.222 netmask 0xffff0000
[--SNIP--]

The interface is always `up' and `running' while the `ppp' program is
attached to the device as otherwise the ppp program won't get any
packets sent to it and it won't know when to auto dial.

There is *NO* automated way of doing this that I know of, short of
writing a program which interrogates port 3000, which will need some
smarts to do the parsing of the prompt(s) that you get presented with.

Gary