Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:37:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
To:        Ben Black <black@MR.Net>
Cc:        "Richie P. Bandales" <richieb@unet.net.ph>, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Ben Black wrote:

> groups several times per day for this very reason.  also, news machines
> serving lots of news need lots of RAM.  lots meaning 64MB or up.  all of
> ours have 128MB, and i know of numerous sites with a lot more.

  While we're on a performance note...With the way news comes through a
pipe, it is better to stripe a series of 2 or 4 GB drives rather than buy
the largest drive you can find. It is a more expensive option, but the
performance gain is usually worth it.

- Justin J. Ashworth
-- CS Student - Montana State University
--- Chair, Association for Computing Machinery - MSU
-- ashworth@cs.montana.edu
- http://www.cs.montana.edu/~ashworth