Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 23:06:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> This whole idiotic conversation has passed waaaay beyond the interest

	... snip ...

I read this whole thread 'cause I was trying to see if answers came up
about my problems running ijppp.  I agree that this is moving beyond the
"normal human"'s interest (and possibly understanding... :-) However, two
points did come up that I'd be interested in hearing more about; at the
risk of expressing a TECHNICAL interst:

  1.  Someone (Nate?) was working on installing predictor-1 compression into
      kernel ppp.  Is this available for alpha/beta testing?

  2.  Has there been any progress in making ijppp a tad more stable?

I'm running kernel ppp now (have been for over a year).  I didn't find it
all that terrible to set up, and it's been rock stable for me.  I'm able
to run for days at a time between carrier drops (and what's a "panic"? :-)
and a simple shell scropt reconnects me within two minutes anyway.  True,
it's not demand based but that's not a problem in my particular application.

I tried running ijppp but I couln't get the link to stay up more than
10-15 minutes; under heavy load 30 seconds was more common (yes, I know
about disable/deny lqr).  Same modem settings as kernel ppp.  Dunno what's
going on.  But... while it WAS up I got REALLY REALLY REALLY good
throughput; due, I understand, to predictor-1.  So...

I'd REALLY like to see predictor-1 added to the kernel mode PPP.  I don't
need dialers etc. (although the "connect" command on kernel ppp coupled
with chat does a nice job for me...) Then I could have a nice solid ppp
WITH compression.  Happy happy joy joy!

If the person doing the predictor-1 stuff needs help/testers, please
lemme know!! :-)

Thanks,

Mike

BTW- One other nice thing would be to add to the kernel ppp man page the
hint that one should NEVER use the proxyarp command [other hint:  never
say never... :-)].  I had all kinds of bizzarre problems (mostly with
pppd's not going away) 'till I removed it per the suggestion of someone
from the list; instantly things started working well!  :-)!

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |