Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:56:09 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Bill Maniatty" <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD printing hardware

> 2) Is there any recommendations regarding PCI cards providing an
> extra parallel port that I should be aware of (one vendor
> here is pushing SIIG cards)?

I converted our Windows 95 server with a SIIG PCI parallel port card to a
FreeBSD 3.2 machine. I couldn't get FreeBSD to find the card, not matter
what I did.

But the $29 SIIG High-IRQ ISA parallel card works great! If you have an open
ISA slot and a free IRQ, I'd go that route (cheaper, too). The card is
selectable between IRQ 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12 and 15, DMA 0, 1 and 3, and I/O
3BCh, 378h, 268h, 280h and 288h.

I've got a HP LaserJet 5 running off this card and an HP DesignJet 600
plotter off the motherboard's port running just fine under FreeBSD.

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!