Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:37:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Dave Alderman wrote:

> Stephen Roome wrote:
>
> > I'm probably only going to stick 64MB (SDRAM) in each of these machines
> > as they really don't *need* much more (it'd be nice but expensive), and
> > most boards I've seen (or any I'd consider) have >64MB of cacheable
> > memory anyway.
>
> The VX and the TX chipsets only support caching of 64 Meg which might
> explain why you have encountered this limitation.  The HX chipset will
> cache much more (although I can't remember how much more - 512Meg ?) and
> also supports multiple processors.  Of course, the motherboard has to
> support caching greater than 64Meg as well.

Actually I'm thinking that these machines really probably don't need much
more memory.
Yes, I know that more would be useful and probably sensible, but it's not
really a luxury that can currently be afforded.

Besides, 64MB of memory is still about the same price as a 2GB disc,
which in our situation would probably be a better way of spending the
money.

Obviously getting a board that supports more cacheable memory is a good
idea, but assuming memory prices continue to drop then by the time I want
another 64MB of memory in both machines I should be able to get two new
(even better) motherboards as well for the same price as I would pay for
that 64MB now.. Well, that's all opinion, but it seems to make sense to
me. (Which means that it's probably wrong !)

Steve Roome (underfunded)