Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:29:57 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg Problems

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:22:44 +0000, "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> This writeup will give me options to experiment with and see which
> works when I'm back in FreeBSD, am in Linux (Slackware 13.0) now.

Personally, I went the way with compiling X without HAL and DBUS,
as I have no need for it. This keeps X in a kind of "old-fashioned
working state".

> There was nothing regarding hald in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Linux),

That's correct. The integration of HAL and DBUS is done at compile
time, as defined by "make config" for the X port.

> and there is no /etc/rc.conf (maybe in other Linux distributions?)

Not even /etc/rc.config? Oh no wait, that was S.u.S.E. Linux. :-)

> I found hald called in /etc/rc.d/rc.hald which is called by
> /etc/rc.d/rc.M

In FreeBSD, this equals a similar mechanism in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
with an invoking setting in /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.local.

> I think the M in rc.M means multiuser.

As far as I remember - I'm not a Linux user anymore - the M refers
to one of the various runlevels. M can indeed be refering to multi-
user runlevel...

> Using HAL (hald) seems much more logical than not using HAL.

If you have need for it, sure. There are several programs that rely
on it (as well as on DBUS), and it can detect mouse and keyboard.
I've tried X with HAL and DBUS on another system, and it seems to
work.

A downside is this: If you live in a country that is not US or GB,
you usually want to have a localized keyboard, like the german
layout in my case. This isn't selected in xorg.conf anymore, so
you have to change settings for HAL and PolicyKit, this means you
will have to manually edit XML files. No big deal, really, but
a bit sad, as central control mechanisms are moved out of xorg.conf
and scattered through many files arbitrarily placed in /usr/local.
But really, it's not THAT hard; I tried this on the testing system
mentioned before, and as soon as you got keyboard, permissions
and so on configured, it works.

But finally, let me say that I don't trust all this autodetect
stuff, as it usually does not work on *my* hardware, which simply
is too old. I like to have control in ONE place, for ALL the
relevant settings, and I hate to have to use xrandr just to
convince X.org to run in a mode that XFree86 did out of the box.

It's still nice that you are not FORCED to use HAL and DBUS, and
if I remember correctly, one of them (or both?) are already being
obsoleted by something different that spreads in Linux right now.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany