Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 07:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      repin@ssd.sscc.ru
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/4990: NFS hangs under FastEthernet. 1024 Bytes packet size does not help

>Number:         4990
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       NFS hangs under FastEthernet. 1024 Bytes packet size does not help
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        2.2.5-RELEASE
>Environment:
FreeBSD ssd-sscc.sscc.ru 2.2.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct 29 19:34:57 NS 1997     root@ssd-0.sscc.ru:/usr/src/sys/compile/PII  i386

I worked under 10 Mbps Ethernet before.
Then I tried to switch to FastEthernet:

Machines:
 1. Pentium II 233 MHz, ASUS P2L97, 96 MB SDRAM, NCR UltraSCSI
 2. Pentium 150 MHz, ASUS VX97, 32 MB EDO RAM, onboard IDE
are not overclocked.

Network cards: Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B PCI
Hub: IntelExpress 100BASE-TX

I discovered that NFS hangs while mounting disk from
high end machine.
I tried to change packet size (512, 1K, 8K, 16K) but
it has not effect.
The only success - switching to TCP (-T option of mount_nfs),
but NFS still eventually hangs.
One sertain case it happens: if I turn off and then turn on
NFS server, NFS client hangs. But it can hang in other cases.
Current mount options: bg,intr,-T,-r=8192,-w=8192