Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:03:37 +1100
From:      Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@ilion.eu.org>
To:        "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bit OS?

> > > Waiting for somebody at Intel to give us either hardware or simulator
> > > time.  Without either of those things, "working on" Itanium support
> > > is a pretty pointless exercise.
> >
> > Just a thought:
> >
> > One could use the released 64-bit Itanium gcc, create a i386->itanium
> > crosscompiler, and start preparing some stuff?
> > Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl)
> > <http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdlib.htm>;
> >

> The difficult bits rarely have anything to do with compilers and such
> (especially given that most of the code has been through a 64-bit port to
> the alpha).  The system-mode pieces of IA-64/Merced were not public until
> recently; I noticed the full document set just became available on the intel
> web site this week. There's also the Linux port that was posted to the web
> in the past week or two; that should show what's needed for a FreeBSD port.

The Linux port is extremely minimalistic and uses the minimum amout of IA-64
features to get the OS to do anything useful.

> Of course, as was mentioned before, without hardware or a simulator it's
> pretty pointless to put much effort into something like this.

Also, you'll find that the actual silicon is somewhat different from the
documentation: whole chunks of the architecture are either unimplemented or
covered by errata, and not planned to be fixed in the public Itanium
silicon. The OS teams that signed NDAs with Intel (including the Linux team:
most of their code has been written by IA-64 teams at Intel and HP) have been
cooperating very closely with Intel and were given a lot of information that
(most of us) can only dream about. That is to say: even the simulator wouldn't
help much right now.

On the other hand, IA-64 is a very exotic architecture from the OS's point of
view, and anyone planning to port *BSD to it should probably start planning
ASAP.

Pat.