Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:33:05 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22K=2EAndr=E9_Braselmann=22?= <bb@braisel.com>
Cc:        kalin mintchev <kalin@el.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finding access points

> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:25:36 +0200
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22K=2EAndr=E9_Braselmann=22?= <bb@braisel.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> kalin mintchev wrote:
>
> > access point pinging...  apparently people using windows dont have that
> > problem in those locations.. i tried dstumbler from the bsd-airtools to
> > see if i can detect any ap but still nothing shows up....
>
> you have to know the SSID, setup the interface with the SSID (nothing
> more) and then use the dhclient(8) e.g.
>
> #dhclient wi0
>
> to get the stuff from the DHCP Server. be careful:-)

I used to have the same problem until I forced ifconfig to explicitly
turn off WEP and reset the SSID to a null string. In /etc/start_if.wi0 I
set:
ifconfig wi0 wepmode off ssid ""
and in /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"

It now finds open APs, associates, and starts dhclient without a problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)