Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 15:17:32 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, orders@cdrom.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, wosch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing distfiles on FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE CD-ROMs

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > Hello Jordan,
> >
> > is there a way to persuade Walnut-Creek (a.k.a. BSDI) to include the
> > distfiles on their next regular FreeBSD-4.X CDs? AFAIK, they were
>
> It's not a question of persuading Walnut CreeK AKA BSDi, it's
> a question of persuading me.  I make the CDs. :-)

And you are doing a especially good job. Thanks again.

> And the reason I have dropped the distfiles is that there's simply not
> enough room ... [snip]  I'm only doing what the
> majority of our customers have requested.
>
> If you want distfiles, those are part of the 4.0 FreeBSD Toolkit CD
> set which is 6 CDs in size and contains almost every distfile you can
> imagine.  It's an increasing challenge to fit an expanding system (and
> ports collection) on 4 CDs and the creation of another 6 CD set was
> very necessary.

On the other hand, how about a more timely release of distfiles-only
CD-ROMs? The source repositories can hop over to snapshot CDs, I
personally use CVSup to get the source. As I previously said, grabbing
ports is no fun using a modem, especially if you like to play around a
little....

Just my $0.05
-Christoph Sold