Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 01:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, ron@infi.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysAdmin Tools - ideas wanted

> > Hrm. I have a bunch of mail sat in my mailbox on this subject. It's a
> > very interesting subject to deal with properly. I think I can say now
> > that you're heading down the wrong road. A tcl/tk front end, while
> > nice, doesn't provide the facilities needed IMHO, unless you TOTALLY
> > separate the tcl end out so that it can be run standalone from the
> > command line, and in a batch operation mode (i.e. non-interactive).
>
> Yes yes yes.

	I'd prefer to see an implementation that provided the front-end
	and had that front end build a command line (or series of command
	lines).

	Then the interface could allow the admin to look at the
	command-line (did my menu selections translate to the sort
	of command I would have used?) allow verification or editing
	and it can log the commands that were issued.

	This has the advantage of allowing the new admin to use the
	friendly interface; while showing him or here what the
	correspondng commands are.  It also allows good auditing
	(throught the log files) and allows the admin to cut and paste
	command sequences out (i.e. add one user through the interface
	and use the generate commands and some editing macros or
	text scripts to build a script that performs the other four
	hundred additions).

	This also has the considerable advantage of ensuring that
	no features creep into the UI/admin tool that have no
	corresponding commandline method and permitting exellent
	quality assurance (over *what **exactly** was done!*).

> The GUI/text/sysadm/etc. front end should be totally seperate from
> the database manipulation tools invoked to back-end the administration.

	Not separate -- build "in front of" (from which we get the
	term "front end").

> I'd like to see one program for a front end, and multiple tools
> that get invoked as a result of front end manipulation.
>
> Tcl/tk are OK for the fornt end tool, but not the backend implementation.

	Some parts of the back end might be implemented as 'expect'
	scripts.

> > If you want to wait a few days, I can start up an e-mail dialogue with
> > you on this ... I'm a bit busy working on the release of 2.1.5 at the
> > minute.
>
> Jordan has some stuff to say on this as well (I assume he's busy too).
>
> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

	I find this disclaimer amusing since you seem to be posting
	from your own domain.

	BTW:  This is my new home (formerly of McAfee Associates).
	'starshine.org' has been created for Heather (my fiancee) and I
	to indulge our hobby and advocation (which is coincidentally a
	profession for each of us).

	Over the next couple of weeks I'll be playing with the
	uucp configuration here (have mail working -- news and
	file xfers are next), creating some web pages (virtually
	hosted -- http://www.starshine.org, of course) and ftp
	site (ftp://ftp.starshine.org) doing some research and
	programming (specifically brushing up on my perl --
	especially taint and suid perl techniques for cgi and
	administrative automation), and teaching myself some
	Java.

	After a couple of weeks I might be available for some
	contracting and consulting projects (I've already got
	some offers and I've been approach by some prospective
	full-time employers -- gosh I love living in the $ilicon
	Valley).

	Please note:  If you have a project that I might find
	interesting -- drop me a line -- I'll be doing some projects
	for free (only requirements are that they be *interesting*
	and *worthy* -- i.e. beneficial to the common good).

	I think the first order of business is to get FreeBSD on this
	box, to replace this aging Slackware/Linux distribution.

Jim Dennis,
former 	System Administrator,
		McAfee Associates