Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:50:06 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPF questions

On 10 Jul 2001, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Michael, thanks for your reply.
>
> So, do I want to be blocking those packets?  I ges I do, since
> 224.0.0.1 has nothing to do with my IP address.

Those are reserved class D multicast adresses. In particular, 224.0.0.1
is called the all-hosts group address. If you don't need multicasting,
add a "block in quick proto igmp all", and a
"block in quick from 224.0.0.0/8 to any" to the top of your ruleset

> I wonder how those packets find their way to me, anyways...  I've

A probable cause is a broken or misconfigured router. The source addrees
is within the netblock of your ISP.