Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:32:03 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Subject:   fvwm2 FvwmBacker module with 2.2.6

The FvwmBacker module worked fine for me under 2.2.2 but with 2.2-STABLE
on the same machine the module doesn't work. Both were installed from the
associated packages collection and as far as I can tell it's the same
version of fvwm2.

Another person who has just installed fvwm2 has noticed similar
misbehaviour. I'm pretty sure this is 2.2.6-RELEASE.

There doesn't seem to be any error message - it just does nothing when
selected from the menu (same .fvwm2rc as before, also with supplied
.fvwm2rc samples, and I checked they look OK and tried editing in various
ways and made sure the colours were present in rgb.txt). When starting X
or restarting fvwm2 the background doesn't get coloured like it used to,
just the funny grey flyscreen look. Sometimes when I try to run
FvwmBacker from the menu the background changes to black or a very dark
colour and then doesn't allow further changes.

I checked all paths three times, checked permissions, even copied the
executable from the old system over in case there was some difference
despite their having the same sizes. Nothing made any difference. The
other fvwm2 modules in the same directory with the same ownership and
permissions do work.

Nothing comes up in the mail archives and I can't see anything mentioned
about this problem on the fvwm web site.

Has anyone managed to beat FvwmBacker into submission with 2.2.6?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-