Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:10:18 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
To:        Wade Majors <wade@ezri.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio playback slow

Wade Majors writes:
| I just setup FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT as of last night on my system. I setup
| the pcm driver and it detected my onboard VIA audio (at least
| partially), however playback is at about half speed. I am basically
| running GENERIC with the debug options commented out and "device pcm" added.
|
| I suspect it might be because of the AC97 Codec message, but I do get
| playback, just slowed down.

Wade.

The AC97 codec message is unrelated, it's just a missing/mis-entered codec id,
it's an ALC101. This should now be fixed in the repository.

I believe the speed problem lies with the driver mis-reporting of capabilities
of the chipset when the ac97 codec does not support on-chip sample rate
conversion which the ALC101 does not.  Again, this should now fixed in the
repository.

If you can update and let me know.  Should it fail, can you set 'sysctl
hw.snd.verbose=3', 'cat /dev/sndstat' while playing the offending audio, and
send me the output.

Thanks
- Orion