Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:17:03 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT:  Re: WinXP administration guide for unix guru

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On 08/20/05 11:23 PM, Andrew L. Gould sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:09:52 +0300
> Ovidiu Ene <ovidiue@unixware.ro> wrote:
>=20
> > is this a joke?
> >=20
> > Kent Hauser wrote:
> >=20
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I've been a Unix sysadmin  (SunOS 3.x, 4.x, Solaris, FreeBSD) for 15
> > >years, but am now being forced to learn how to run a collection of
> > >XP boxes.
> > >
> > >Can anyone recommend a book which explains this confusing beast? I'm
> > >talking about a book which explains where things are put (equiv of /
> > >var/mail, /etc/passwd, /etc/rc.conf), where application data is
> > >stored, how printers, disks, etc are shared, how to book in "fixit
> > >disk" mode, how to backup/restore, how to configure swap space. And
> > >also questions like why XP is "professional", etc.
> > >
> > >I know it's a bit off topic, but I'm having a hard time figuring the
> > >system to what's what in XP.
> > >
> > >Thanks, Kent
>=20
> There are lots of WinXP administration books in the bookstores.
> Although there are several books for Windows users moving to Unix,
> I've not seen one for the other direction.
>=20
> There is an O'Reilly book called "Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks".  It
> may not help; but at least it has a cool title.  ;-)

Does it tell you why XP requires any user wishing to print to a
network printer must have administrator privileges?

Stupid XP.

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

enhance, v.:
  To tamper with an image, usually to its detriment.

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--