Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:10:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, brianc@milkyway.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

> >Dell was selling them.
>
> This is wrong!
>
> Dell sold no such thing as a "P5 DX/2-66"!

You guys didn't call them that, but the memory bus was running at 33MHz;
that's "clock doubled" in my book.

I have a friend who had one until the Pentium math bugs reared their
ugly heads (he was an IDE weenie, so he didn't care that PCI bus
mastering failed on the thing).

> >This was back when they were using the
> >Saturn I chipset, which did not have DMA writeback notification
> >connected from the macrocell (missing trace).
>
> Due to that bug, that version of the Saturn chipset does not support
> write-back L2 caching and it is therefore configured by the BIOS to
> use the L2 cache in write-through mode, though the L1 cache is always
> write-back.  The missing trace is not used or needed when the L2
> cache is in write-through mode.

Unless a DMA initiated by a controller rather than the host occurs.
Check the -hackers list archives for postings on disabling the L1
and L2 cache on these monstrosities...

> >Dell also had 60MHz non-doubled chips
> >available before the doubled 66's were available.
>
> Well, of course the 66 MHz chips were available after the 60 MHz
> chips were, but they weren't "doubled."

Maybe not; maybe the memory was just jumpered for an extra wait state;
whatever; memory access was half as fast as it should have been in a
reasonable implementation.

> They probably would have, had the "doubled 66's" ever existed.
>
> >Just as my 486/50 kicks butt over the same chips.
>
> I doubt this, unless you're "stacking the deck" in some perverse
> way, or you're simply dreaming.

Of course I am, if an I/O intensive benchmark is "stacking the deck"
and a CPU intensive benchmark is somehow "a good idea".

I'm doing disk I/O, of course, and I am overclocking the EISA bus on
the machine to 50MHz instead of 2x25.  50MHz EISA transfers data faster
than 30MHz PCI... or 33MHz.

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org