Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:04:24 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        The Mad Maniac <TMM@infothuis.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gateway="yes" and what else?

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 04:10:00PM +0200, The Mad Maniac wrote:

[35 lines deleted]

> > Also make sure you're using some kind of IP aliasing
> > on the gateway box so your local IP numbers don't leak out into the
> > Internet (unless they are real, officially assigned numbers...)
>
> Well, they aren't. I use ip 192.168.0.x for the local network. The
> gateway has an ip assigned by an ISP (modem using ppp), and also a
> 192.168.0.x ip for the local network.
> How would i use ip aliasing? (if it's in some man page, just tell me
> which one, since it's not under aliasing, ip-aliasing or gateway)

If you're using userland ppp (aka iijppp), then upgrade to the latest ppp
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian), then see ``man 8 ppp'', section
"PACKET ALIASING".

If you use kernel ppp (namely, pppd), then upgrade you whole OS to
2.2.6-STABLE (the kernel ppp was recently upgraded), then ``man 8 natd''.

HTH

Regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the