Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 08:57:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        ken@vicken.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet & FTP Restrictions

>  My question is can I restrict users to just FTP, telnet or mail.

bash and other shells have a "restricted shell" feature in them that
lets you restrict the PATH and SHELL variable. make a new directory, place
the couple commands that you wish the user to use and make that directory
to be the only entry in the PATH statement. The SHELL variable must be also
set to rbash to prevent users to bypass the restriction by shelling out of
programs like mail.

--mark.