Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:12:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Editing problems on Linux (Was: FreeBSD vs linux (some venting))

Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com> types:
> On Mon, 22 January 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> To that I would respond by saying the following.
> Every chracter that I type on my Linux box my hard
> drive on the computer has to 'grind' like as if it's etching
> another character on it's medium.
> Since Linux touts to be one of the best OS's wouldnt
> it stand to reason that I should expect more from it?
> Or atleast not something that I would expect an NT
> machine to do?

Depends on what you're using to edit text. If you're using an ASCII
editor and getting that behavior, then something is seriously wrong
somewhere. If you're using a WYSIWIG editor with a scalable font in
nonnative format and some screwy point size (so that it has to scale
every character), then it may just be poor design in the text editing
system.

Such things can be solved, but this isn't the place.

	<mike