Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:33:28 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        mgruver@reveregroup.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to start daemons,... /etc/rc.conf?

>You will have to forgive my ignorance... However I have to ask... I have
>several
>Daeomons I would like to execute on startup of FreeBSD 4.4.  However, when I
>appended them at the end of the /etc/rc.conf file they didn't start when I
>wanted them to... namely last.
>
>The daemons I want to start are the named daemon with a custom conf file, and
>the tinyproxy port.  I can start the just fine from the command line after
>login
>and I know the parameters I want to use, I just don't know where to put
>them to
>control their execution.

You can (should?) start named in the /etc/rc.conf file.  Within the
"Network daemon (miscellaneous)" section, you can put in:

named_enable="YES"              # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="/usr/sbin/named" # named program, in case we want bind8 instead.
named_flags="-b /etc/namedb/named.conf" # Flags to named (if enabled).

Where you put the name & path of your named.conf file in place of mine above.

As for your other items you want to stop, you can write a small start-up
script and place it within /usr/local/etc/rc.d which is where your start-up
scripts go.  Odds are if you look in that directory you'll find some other
files there that might give you a hint on how to set up the script.

Hope that helps,
John