Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        hawky/Hawksmom <hawk2@netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am still having modem problems

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, hawky/Hawksmom wrote:

> I was able to use the modme viauser ppp's 'term' feature. but after
> getting my local ethernet working, my modem was no longer useable.  It
> was being used on /dev/cuaa0.  now dmesg shows it being found on sio1.
> When I tired setting everything to cuaa1 term lets me connect, to the
> modem (when set to cuaa0 it says failed to connect to modem), but I can't

sio1 equates to cuaa1

> type anything to it.  I have tried everything I can possibly think of.

did you try ppp's term mode? First type 'set modem /dev/cuaa1', then type
'term' at the ppp > prompt(no quotes). This will let you use the Hayes AT
command set to talk to your modem.

> Below is any file I think could be of any use to solving this, also since
> I am new to freebsd if you see anything else that doesn't seem right
> below let me know ;)
>
> I am thinking maybe my modem just went bad or something.

> /etc/sysconfig:
> # ifconfig_cuaa0="inet 192.215.166.87 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Change this from ifconfig_cuaa0 to ifconfig_tun0 and uncomment it.
> sio0 not found at 0x3f8
> sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> sio1: type 16550A

You have a modem on com2 and no com1 at all?

> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:
> # Default setup. Executed always when PPP is invoked.
> #
> default:
>  set device /dev/cuaa0

If your modem is on what DOS calls com2, change this to /dev/cuaa1

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House.    <unknown>