Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:21:38 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        marcus@kbinirsnb.be
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost root shell (silly isn't it?)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:01:50 +0200, Marc Dubrowski wrote:

> Can I start my computer in single user mode (and how?) and how to vipw
> from there ?

You'd be flamed for asking an FAQ if the FAQ happened to provide
up-to-date information about this problem. ;-)

You need to boot into single-user mode. This allows you to specify which
shell you want root to use. Then you need to mount your filesystems and
use vipw or chsh to change your root shell.

To boot into single-user mode:

	3.1-RELEASE and earlier:
		At the boot prompt, type ``-s'' and press enter.

	3.2-RELEASE or later:
		At the boot prompt, type ``boot -s'' and press enter.

To mount your filesystems:

	mount -a

To change root's shell:

	Either