Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:34:46 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: IP Type of service (FTP proxy in German c`t)

Hi,

If the intention is to accelerate downloads, then I don't think this
proxy is going to do much. It might promote the treatment of packets outbound
from the client if the rfc1349 precedence is set to 7, but it can have
no control over the return packets -- and that's where all the data is
on a download (which is what most people do).

In networks which _do_ support aggregate treatment of packets based on
the rfc1349 precedence or diffserv bits, the usual strategy is to enforce the
setting of these bits on ingress to the provider's network from the customer.
No sane network provider operates on the principle that their customers are
(a) skilled enough or (b) honest enough to set the bits correctly themselves.

Having said that, I don't believe that many significant networks do anything
at all with the rfc1349/diffserv bits further than cisco's alleged special
treatment of precedence-7 traffic which is used for routing protocols.
Concert Internet Plus is a notable exception, but they do ingress policing
and shaping.

Just my $0.02. I'm not worried about _our_ network :)

Joe