Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:57:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert <robert@namodn.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getfreebsdstuff [-cmd|-pkg|-port|-dist|-vVERS|...] thing ...

When you download a package from ftp.freebsd.org , make sure you get it
from the /pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.7 dir, that's where all the a.out stuff
is ( the packages in /pub/FreeBSD/packages are ELF format now, and will
only work with FreeBSD 3.0 )

You could make a shell script I 'spose, something like
---

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/ftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.7/All/$1
pkg_add $1

---
should do the trick in one step, save it as whatever filename you want and
chmod u=rwx it..

If you saved it as filename "add", then you could do
add
(assuming it's on your path)
ls
to see the names of all the packages.. although just doing
lynx freebsd/ports
will allow you to search the database with descriptions/etc...

You could also just add the .tgz type to lynx so it automatically installs
a .tgz file.. although I prefer to do it the interactive way :)

/stand/sysinstall should do it in one step for you, too..

-rob
( www.namodn.com )
( robert@namodn.com )