Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:03:36 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        Marco Masotti <MC7953@mclink.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tip From Remote Logins

Marco Masotti writes:
>Dear all,
>
>I sometime access a modem connected to a remote FreeBSD 2.1R machine on a
>lan.
>
>I access the modem for diagnostic purposes or so. The utility I use is
>tip.  The sequence is then 'do an rlogin onto the modem machine and the do
>a  tip to the modem.
>
>All this is fine, until a do ~. to disconnect tip.
>
>This action produces not to escape from tip, but to exit the remote login,
>and what is worse leaving the tip session running, resulting in the modem
>being busy for the next connect attempt - you have to kill the tip
>processes by hand to recover.
>
>Can this be a problem  with tip or what else?

read the rlogin manpage. `~' is also the escape character for rlogin.
If you only want to exit tip, then use `~~.'. rlogin will strip the
first `~' and pass the rest to tip.

Or use telnet, it normally uses `^]' as its escape character.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
Work - gjennejohn@frt.dec.com