Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:17:43 +0100
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patch for /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc to disable submission (close port 587)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 04:43:41PM -0800, Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001, Jochem Kossen wrote:
>
> I'm on the mailing list, so you don't need to do this:
> 	Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

Yes...it's the reply-group function of mutt :)

> I've set it (again) to:

> > > We (i.e., the authors of sendmail) have enabled it by default to
> > > encourage its use.  If you turn it off, how do you expect that other
> > > programs will actually use it?
> >
> > By documenting it? People will enable it if they need it. In my opinion,
> > every extra open port on a computer is a security risk.
>
> Many people don't read documentation. Just check the amount of
> questions "Why is port 587 open?" in comp.mail.sendmail.

Then you should document it more clearly. Put a link on the website
between <h1></h1> tags that says "Click here to find the anser on how to
use the MSA feature" or something like that.

> It's right there in the release notes...

sendmail implements RFC 2476 (Message Submission), e.g., it can
now listen on several different ports.  Use:
O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA, Port=587, M=E
to run a Message Submission Agent (MSA); this is
turned on by default in m4-generated .cf files;
it can be turned off with FEATURE(`no_default_msa').

^^ that's from the release notes. It doesn't say _why_ it is enabled by
default..

> By turning on features by default we support their usage. sendmail
> is often the first to support new features and then others follow.2

OK, but it should be FreeBSD's choice wether or not to enable it. Aside
from that, i think it's fine to support the MSA, but i don't think it
should be enabled by default.

> That's also the reason why sendmail uses STARTTLS if it's compiled
> in and the other side offers it. That uncovered some broken MTAs
> which have been fixed even though it took a lot of pressure.

Right, the pressure worked. But for the MSA thing, i don't see a lot of
pressure coming from sendmail's direction...

> > As seen from your side, it has been enabled for quite some time now, did
> > it work? Are there programs which actually use it? Are those programs
> > widely used? If yes to all questions, then my patch shouldn't be used in
> > the default freebsd sources. Otherwise, i think it should.
>
> I don't know, I don't have any statistics. Maybe we switch our MSP
> in the next release to use port 587 by default.  The more people
> switch to the MSA the easier will be the next transition: a cleaner
> separation of MTA and MSA.

I still haven't heard one hard argument on why it should be enabled by
default with FreeBSD. It may be my stupidity(believe me ;)).

I do think the MSA is a good thing, i just don't like it being enabled
by default. I think it's only useful for people who know what it is, and
how it works. Therefore, i still think it should be disabled by default
on FreeBSD.