Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:48:46 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
Cc:        jake@int.checker.org (Jake), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does grep stand for?

In message <E0y9ETs-0005Wl-00@ns.cityip.co.za>,   you write:
>Jake wrote:
>>
>> My teacher says grep stands for Get Regular ExPression,
>> I thought it was more complicated.
>
>Global regular expression and print, I always thought.  In ed(1):
>
>  g/re/p
Get a new teacher.

>From the jargon file:
File: jargon.info, Node: grep, Next: grilf, Prev: Green's Theorem, Up: = G =

:grep: /grep/ /vi./  [from the qed/ed editor idiom g/re/p,
   where re stands for a regular expression, to Globally search
   for the Regular Expression and Print the lines containing matches
   to it, via {{Unix}} `grep(1)'] To rapidly scan a file or set
   of files looking for a particular string or pattern (when browsing
   through a large set of files, one may speak of `grepping
   around').  By extension, to look for something by pattern.  "Grep
   the bulletin board for the system backup schedule, would you?"
   See also {vgrep}.

marty