Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:41:13 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with D-Link DWL-650+

On January 13, 2005 07:29 am, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Dan Pelleg wrote:
> > >
> > > I was interested about the same product and found that there is
> > > card named DWL-650. It should be prism based card and probably
> > > what you want to buy. Your "+" card is TI based, despite almost
> > > the same name. (Hard to believe.)
> >
> > Not only that, but even for the DWL-650 they changed the chipset.
> > In particular, if it's the "ver. P" kind, it is NOT supported
> > natively.

> There is another one : My DWL-650 has an Atheros 5211 in it
> (802.11a/b). Works fine with ATH(4), but I do see some
> minutes-periodic 'hickups'.

The 802.11g and 802.11a D-Link cards have different names than the
standard 802.11b cards:  DWL-A650 for 802.11a, DWL-G650 for 802.11b/g,
and DWL-AG650 for 802.11a/b/g.

Again, though, within those names, different revisions have different
chipsets.  For instance, the DWL-G650 Rev. A uses a PrismGT chipset,
while the DWL-G650 Rev. B and C use two different Atheros chipsets.

You really need to read through the support documents for each wireless
card to figure out exactly what you are getting.  It's a real pain
buying wireless cards.  Why can't the manufacturers give different
names based on the chipset used, instead of just changing the revision
level??  Would make things so much simpler.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]