Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:27:47 +0000
From:      "Mikhail P." <miha@ghuug.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   question on vinum

Hello,

On our next file server, I want to make one large FTP area out of 4 drives =
(so=20
that system sees them as one volume). Vinum appears to be exactly what I=20
need.

I haven't worked with Vinum previously, but hear a lot about it. My questio=
n=20
is how to implement the above (unite four drives into single volume) using=
=20
Vinum, and what will happen if let's say one drive fails in volume? Am I=20
loosing the whole data, or I can just unplug the drive, tell vinum to use=20
remaining drives with the data each drive holds? I'm not looking for fault=
=20
tolerance solution.

=46rom my understanding, in above scenario, Vinum will first fill up the fi=
rst=20
drive, then second, etc.

I have read the handbook articles, and I got general understanding of Vinum.
I'm particularly interested to know if I will still be able to use volume i=
n=20
case of failed drive.
Some minimal configuration examples would be greatly appreciated!

Server will be running FreeBSD-4.10.

regards,
M.