Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:32:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Ben WIlliams <williamsl@Home.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ld.so failed: Can't find shared library..

On 18-Dec-99 Ben WIlliams wrote:
>    One of the servers I now manage is a 2.2.5-RELEASE server. I

This system is excessively old.. you should upgrade it to a newer version, say,
at least 3.1-RELEASE or later.

> recently tried running cvsup from a shell and got:
>
> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libset.so.6.0"

That looks like an a.out library..

>    What is libset.so.6.0 a part of? I have also been having difficulty
> making the openssh port due to what appears to be a new flag to ld
> (--whole-archive) since the birth of this machine.

Ports are not really guaranteed to work on any version of FreeBSD other than
the latest -STABLE (and there are exceptions for that) and -CURRENT. Try
upgrading this system to a newer version of FreeBSD.

>    What are my upgrade options? This is a production server with
> little tolerance for downtime and I haven't been a FreeBSD'er for long
> enough to know exactly how to fix these problems.

That is understandable. I'd actually guessed it was a production server. You
can minimize downtime by building the 3.x world and then dropping to single
user mode to install the world. However, I've never really tried to upgrade
from 2.2.x to 3.x. I just backup the machine and format and reinstall using 3.x
CDs. 2.x -> 3.x is a HUGE upgrade.. your best bet would be to load balance the
server's services among other servers while you upgrade it. Or to load a copy
of 3.x on a new server, set it up, and transfer sensitive data to the new
server, test it, then when it's ready, take the old one off and put the new one
on.

Sorry, I really can't offer any better ideas without further information.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>