Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:01:58 +0300
From:      Jen Linkova <jen@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Rocco Lucia <rlucia@iscanet.com>
Cc:        jeff <shupilov@technobank.com.by>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vlan

			Hi!

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:04:41AM +0100, Rocco Lucia wrote:
> >i'm strongly needet to set up vlan on my freebsd-box
> >but unfortunately i can't find any clear instruction how to do it
>
> first you should add:
> pseudo-device vlan ... see LINT
> to your kernel configuration.

Hmm...I'm afraid  he will find nothing..
jen@comp:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf>grep vlan LINT
jen@comp:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf>uname -a
FreeBSD comp.chem.msu.su 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov 30 20:06:23...

> Then you can use ifconfig to set your virtual vlan interfaces
> bound to the physical one/s.
> ifconfig vlan0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 vlan 2 vlandev xl0

And remember: xl0 must be UP at this time! (FreeBSD 4*, AFAIR)
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22179)

And one more thing - using vlan, we can get trouble with MTU and need
to apply patche on interface driver. (related discussions can be found in
mailing lists archive).

SY, Jen aka Furry

###  I tell you: all done, all done, tomorrow we'll be there! ###