Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 20:03:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hsu@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

Jeffrey Hsu stands accused of saying:
> Well, I'm totally bummed that my Microplis 2217 just died 2 days ago

8( Consolation.  If it's any comfort, I recently did a panic upgrade to
2.0.5 for a local ISP whose bootdisk (Seagate ST6550A) went farming.
In the space of less than three hours it scored _every_ face on all
three platters _except_ the top one.  (The servo surface looked like
an etch-a-sketch 8)

> and I have yet to recover.  It was my boot drive, my FreeBSD 1.1.5.1
> system, as well as my home directory, which hasn't been back up
> for weeks since FreeBSD 2.0 dump doesn't like converted FreeBSD 1.1.5.1
> partitions.  I'm totally bummed.  Oh well, I just had to get that off

This is not necessarily true.  I've mounted 1.1.5.1 partitions under
2.0 and 2.0.5 with no trouble.  You have to restore an alternate masterblock
going back, as 1.1.5.1 doesn't grok what 2+ does to it.

> my chest.  I'm totally bummed.  I'm reduced to typing this message on my
> sister's DOS pc with the modem I moved over from my non-bootable machine.

FWIW, *hug*

> 						Jeffrey

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[