Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:07:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Patrik Sundberg <dt96pasu@forsmark.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   bugging symlinks under the linux emulation (i think)

greetings all,
i have just recently joined this list and this is my first posting, have
that in mind before attacking me if this is already known info, i have at
least not found it anywhere.
it seems like i have found a rather odd bugg in (i think) the linux binary
emulation code. when i installed the linux version of applixware
everything worked ok at first, then it suddenly stopped working. i couldnt
figure out the problem so i ktraced the program. the thing is this:
bash-2.01$ ls -l /compat/linux/usr/
[snip]
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel    22 Dec  4 02:45 local ->
/usr/local/linux/local
[snip]
i have a symbolic link to another filesystem for my
/compat/linux/usr/local.
bash-2.01$ df -k
Filesystem      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a           38991    16622    19250    46%    /
/dev/wd0s2e        297423   179283    94347    66%    /usr
/dev/wd0s2f       1331151   994507   230152    81%    /usr/local
/dev/wd0s2g         19487     1759    16170    10%    /var
/dev/wd2s2e        396895     8833   356311     2%    /home
procfs                  4        4        0   100%    /proc
localhost:/null         0        0        0   100%    /crypt
/dev/wcd0a         626556   626556        0   100%    /mnt/cdrom/

even though i am quite sure applixware has nothing to do with the
usr/local (since it is installed under /compat/linux/opt/applix (also on a
symlink to /usr/local/linux/opt/applix)) it tries to do a swapon() syscall
which for some reason fails and starts looping the path to
/compat/linux/usr/local so it tests longer and longer everytime it
tries.. eventually the process causes a segmentation fault and is killed.
the applixware version i tested this with was Applixware4.3 developers
edition. i had no problem with other linux binaries(though i have not done
much testing).
ohh.. i forgot to mention. if i remove the symlink /comapt/linux/usr/local
it works fine, no complains from applix. i can also have a real direcory
there instead of the symlink and it works.
hope you guys can be helped by this info and fix it(if it is a
emualtionfault that is, i have little experience with kernel hacking
myself and doesnt have time to do any further investigations myself).
please mail me any comments on the issue, would like to know if and when
it will get fixxed =)

a uname -a output from my setup:
FreeBSD radiac.barack.org 2.2.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Wed Dec
3 19: 36:16 CET 1997 root@radiac.barack.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/RADIAC
i386

i.e a totally vanilla 2.2.5-RELEASE system with no kernelpatches, and i
have the linux emulation compiled as an lkm.

i have a ktrace logg and a core dump saved here, but that would be a bit
large to mail, so anyone interesting in more information on the issue can
mail me and i will mail you a tar.gz archieve including this and som
aditional info on my setup.

thats is for my first posting - hope it wasnt to stupid, bye!
               Patrik 'skaut' Sundberg '97 irc is addictive
       sysadmin of forsmark.uu.se - born to run unix! - irc-fanatic
           skaut@IRCNet - additional email: skaut@webservices.se