Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:34:21 +0200
From:      Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1-PRERELEASE freezes (IPFW related)

Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 06:21:01PM +0200, Christian Laursen wrote:
>> I decided to give 7.1-PRERELEASE a try on one of my machines to find
>> out if there might be any problems I should be aware of.
>>
>> I quickly ran into problems. After a while the system freezes
>> completely. It seems to be somehow related to the load of the machine
>> as it doesn't seem to happen when it is idle. I built a kernel with
>> software watchdog enabled and enabled watchdog which had the nice
>> effect of turning the freeze into a panic. Hopefully that will be of
>> some help.

[snip]

> A couple generic things, although I think jhb@ might be able to figure
> out what's going on here:
>
> 1) Is this machine running the latest BIOS available?
> 2) Are you running powerd(8) on this box?
> 3) Does disabling ACPI (it's a menu option when booting) help?
> 4) Does removing "device cpufreq" help?

I tried without ACPI right after writing the previous mail without any
luck.

However I tried turning off various stuff and found the cause of the
problem. When I tried running without my ipfw rules the crashes went
away. I then immediately suspected the rules using uid matching and
those were indeed responsible.

I am now back to running with everything I usually have running on
this machine (my primary desktop) but without the ipfw uid rules and
the machine is rock stable.

I have been running with debug.mpsafenet="0" most likely because I
have been using ipfw uid matching. Has RELENG_7 had significant
changes in this area?

Since I don't need these rules anymore I have just removed
them.

--
Christian Laursen