Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:40:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Roberts <droberts@gwis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   converting dos partition

I'm having a hard time interpreting the man pages regarding fixed disk
configuration and want to be absolutely clear how to do this before I end
up trashing some important data..

The system I'm attempting to alter has a single 2.1G hard drive in it,
currently separated 1/2 freebsd and the other half windows 95.  Win95 has
outlived its usefulness, and I'd now like to use that entire partition for
FreeBSD.

Current config:
  Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/wd0a       49231    16744    28549    37%    /
  /dev/wd0s2f    843935   740758    35663    95%    /usr
  /dev/wd0s2e     49231     8745    36548    19%    /var
  /dev/wd0s1    1023824   405456   618368    40%    /dosc

The FreeBSD boot manager selects the OS at bootup currently, and the dos
partition appears to be the first partition.  My biggest worry is that if
I newfs wd0s1, I'll never be able to boot this machine again.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could someone give me the basic steps
I would take to perform this alteration?  (please cc: directly, I'm not on
the list)

Thanks for your time.

--
Dan Roberts, http://gwis.com/~droberts        Gateway to Internet Services
sysadmin/ircadmin, Strahd on DALnet IRC     for Internet access in NE Ohio