Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:03:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   starting vncserver in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

John Murphy writes:
> I'm trying to get vncserver to start automatically at boot.

Have you carefully considered the security implications of doing this?
On the face of it, it sounds like you're doing the equivalent of
logging in as root via telnet (with no encryption). Come to think of
it, it's probably worse than that - where does vncserver log bad
password attempts?

If that's the case, it would be much (much, *much*) better to enable
sshd, then ssh in forwarding the VNC port, and start vncserver from
there. That's what I typically do when I need to do that kind of
thing.

Anyway...

> This works fine if I type vncserver after login, but with the
[...]

but at boot:

> I get: vncserver: couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH.

because /usr/X11R6/bin (where xauth is) isn't in PATH. Which happens
because all the things that get run to set up your environment when
you log in aren't done when the scripts that run at startup are
run. You need to fix PATH (at least), and probably others as well.

	<mike