Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 20:53:49 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving some mail.

"Jonathan M. Bresler" stands accused of writing in message ID
<Pine.3.89.9510241415.K8705-0100000@kryten.atinc.com>:
>On Tue, 24 Oct 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:
>	yeah....headers and all that. some mail contains little added
>information and a lot of quoted text that does not help at all.  (hey!
>who you looking at! ;)

:-)

>	the faster the better.  puts a new prespective on the number of
>sendmail processes running.  each one has to wait for the other end to do
>its thing.  so maybe 30-50 sendmail processes sitting on a wait channel
>aint that bad after all, they dont complete for kernel resources and
>context switches when on a wait channel (right?).   given 30 sendmails
>and 1.6 messages/sec either each one waits about 20 seconds average or
>we are in deep trouble regarding context switching...not!

I think we either need more memory in freefall, or a dedicated spool
disk or something to try and speed up delivery. I'm sure that a
pentium should be able to shift more mail than that. Mebbe the T1 is
starting to slow things down.

>	bingo!  that's 1 for 1, care to guess the other?

Wild guess: nimh.gttw.com?

>	oh, bother!

I >MAY< have a patch file to fix this somewhere. Have to go digging.

Gary