Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:12:21 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Charlie Root <blaz@satx.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail junk, other questions

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 04:48:18PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> If you have an old sendmail executable around (from before you edited
> make.conf to not build sendmail), it tries to fire it up.

The NO_SENDMAIL flag is primarily meant for people who track a more
up-to-date sendmail. It also can be used by those who use a different
MTA. If you are not in one of those groups, you are probably better
off keeping up with FreeBSD's sendmail version.

> Unfortunately, mergemaster will try to update the /etc/mail files
> including sendmail.cf to a version that the old sendmail will not
> handle which results in lots of ugly messages at boot time. No real
> ramifications...just ugly! (Scared me a bit at first as the errors
> don't make it obvious that the daemon was not started.)

The people who track sendmail more closely probably care about their
sendmail.cf and make sure mergemaster does not change it. Those that
use another MTA can do whatever they want to sendmail.cf, since they
don't use sendmail. Those who stop updating sendmail, but aren't
careful to not update their sendmail.cf or are not using an alternate
MTA, can get breakage.