Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        njensen@salsa.habaneros.com (Neil C. Jensen)
Cc:        blewis@vet.purdue.edu, branson@widomaker.com, njensen@salsa.habaneros.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm almost afraid to ask, but....

Neil C. Jensen wrote:

> along the same lines - what's more important in serving up web documents
> and basic *text* database functions, integer or fp performance? Seems to me
> like integer performance is probably the more relevant. I'm trying to make
> some sense of all the SPEC numbers I'm looking at...

	web servers do not do floating point.  with the exception of certain
	unsual applications floating point is less than 1% of code.

	integer is everything!

	SPEC 92 has been repudiated by SPEC.  SPEC 95 numbers are
	kinda rare (Unix Review still does SPEC 92 :)  SPEC 95 will be
	obsolete in a few years

	you need a scaleable benchmark.
	use:

	http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html