Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:46:32 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Feliks J.Welfeld" <Feliks_J_Welfeld@bigfoot.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the Asus A7N266-VM motherboard

From: "Feliks J.Welfeld" <Feliks_J_Welfeld@bigfoot.com>

> I want to setup inexpensive FreeBSD box, and I am looking at
> Asus A7N266-VM motherboard, which has good price/performance
> ratio, and has positive reviews coming from the Windoze world.

I am running the same MoBo, with Athlon XP 1700+

> It uses Nvidia nForce 220D chipset, which integrates video
> adapter, audio ( i810 compatible ) and seemingly exotic
> Ethernet MAC.

Mine does NOT have the NIC chipset option.  I have installed an SMC NIC
which runs off the 'dc' driver.  IIRC, the MoBo should have a Realtek
PHY chipset, which is not at all "exotic".  But, I speak under
correction here...   _IF_ that is the chipset, then the 'rl' driver in
GENERIC should drive it fine.

> Did anybody tried to install FreeBSD on such motherboard?
> With success?

Yes :)

> How difficult would it be to adapt Linux driver for the MAC
> ( provided in source by Nvidia ) to FreeBSD? I know, I can
> get supported NIC for less than $15, but why not to use the
> stuff which is there?

I can't comment on this last bit :(

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.