Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:46:10 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Subject:   Re: Wiping out /compat/linux/* when installing linux_base

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:43:07 -0500
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> wrote:

> I have been bitten by this several times now:
>
> when you reinstall the linux_base port, it just wipes out all of
> /compat/linux.  I usually have stuff in /compat/linux/usr/local in
> there.
>
> Note that removing linux_base does not do that, installing linux_base
> again does.

Are you really sure?

I've portupgraded the default linux base port (emulators/linux_base-8)
several times (at least for every portrevision bump) and I didn't
reinstall for example linux-gtk2, but acroread7 still works. So I'm a
little bit puzzled how this can happen.

Ok, I've looked into this, now I understand. It removes
$LINUXBASE/usr/local completely, not $LINUXBASE.

Remove the usr/local entry from the REMOVE_DIRS variable, try a
completely fresh install of linux_base (empty $LINUXBASE), and have a
look if there are some file in $LINUXBASE/usr/local. If there's no
file, go ahead and change the Makefile. I assume you didn't encountered
bad behavior with linux programs while having $LINUXBASE/usr/local.
Acroread7 is still able to dig into the FreeBSD /usr/local then, right?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                           Reboot America.