Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 09:07:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Sal Duran <salduran@uclink4.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sio2 not probed (Was: your mail)

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Sal Duran wrote:
>
> > I have a generic 56.6K modem installed in com3 IRQ5.  I configured my
> > kernel to use this port but at boot up, it can't find any device.
> > Obviously when I try to use cuaa2, it returns "device not configured".
>
> FreeBSD doesn't come configured to work with COM3 by default.  You'll have
> to build a new kernel and compile in sio2 with the correct settings.

I had the same trouble myself. After including sio0-2 in my config file,
and installing the resulting kernel, sio2 would not get probed.  I still
had to enable it manually in userconfig before it would work.  This has to
be done each time I install a new kernel.  (Same thing happens with sio3
I've noticed, but I have no need for it, so I don't even include it in my
config.)

Jeremy Shaffner					JORSM Internet
Senior Technical Support 		  Northwest Indiana's Premium
jer@jorsm.com				   Internet Service Provider
support@jorsm.com			     http://www.jorsm.com