Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 06:32:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        kaleb@opengroup.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symbols in libc_r not in libc

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> Well, just that Xlib isn't in the business of providing libc functions
> or putting a band-aid over a broken libc.
>
> The weak __error() function belongs in libc.

The cerror in libc needs to call __error() instead of just referencing
the global "int errno". It does this when compiled into libc_r, but
that won't support kernel threads (which will use libc + libpthread
instead of libc_r).

I'd like to change errno.h to define errno as *__error() all the
time so that you don't have to do anthing special to compile a
thread-aware library (like Xlib). I've been running with a complete
'make world' under -current with this errno implementation for some
time. I guess I should ask for the go-ahead to commit this to
-current.

I'd like to see 3rd-party libraries (like Xlib) come thread-aware
out-of-the-box.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137