Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 99 01:13:22 +0100
From:      Ben Stuyts <ben@stuyts.nl>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <blammo@home.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDR says: Attempt to query device size failed...

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, "Chris D. Faulhaber" wrote:

> Interesting, this happens to both my CDR and regular CD:
>
> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
> cd0: <MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-508 XS03> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd1: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
> cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not ready,
> cause not reportable
>
> It may simply be the way the different devices report that the device is not
> ready/no medium present in the sense data...
> ...if no one else has any good ideas, I may just get a trace of the bus this
> evening and see exactly what is being reported (and when).

Thanks, just let me know if I can do anything to help. I've just remade world
and kernel, and here's the latest data from both my drives I get with boot
-v:

(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): Medium not present
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-506 8S05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
(cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
(cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd1: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not ready,
cause not reportable

>From this you can see that both drives report differently that the tray is
empty. "Medium not present" sounds less of a problem than "... cause not
reportable". Also, cd0 status is shown immediately on booting, while cd1
status takes about a minute or so to appear.

Ben